These vegetarian Mexican sweet potato bowls are a simple, healthy meal perfect for dinner or lunch prep.
A few weeks ago I shared with you an Asian-flavored version of sweet potato bowls a.k.a my old college go-to meals. While the pan-seared tofu covered with a simple soy sauce mixture is for sure tasty, this Mexican-inspired version is my absolute favorite!
When I was working full time for the VA, this was one of my favorite lunches to pack, as it was easy to make a large batch for the week and it reheats so well. Plus with the fiber from the beans and sweet potato, the protein from the beans, and the healthy fats from the avocado, these bowls keep you nice and full.
I love softer textures, so this recipe is my ideal meal; however if you like to have some crunch to your food, feel free to add in extra veggies such as raw bell peppers or slightly cooked zucchini, cauliflower, or broccoli.
I know I mentioned it Monday, but I’m just so excited that it’s October! Between the Fall decorations and the comforting smells of baked goods and spiced lattes, there’s just something so nostalgic about this time of year. It’s also fitting that this week I’m starting a new job – literally turning over a new leaf in my life 🙂
So here’s a toast to perfect bring-to-work lunches, I know I can always use more of these kind of recipes!
Vegetarian Mexican Sweet Potato Bowls
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- Mexican shredded cheese optional
- Wash sweet potatoes, then poke a few holes around each using a fork. Option to either bake them in the oven at 425F for 1 hour (my preferred method) or microwaving them for 7-10 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, place rinsed black beans and corn kernels in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for at least 10 minutes, or until beans and corn are hot.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked, remove skins and place the insides of each sweet potato in a bowl. Top with black bean and corn mixture, salsa, and avocado slices. Option to add a sprinkle of Mexican shredded cheese. Enjoy!