A vegan spin on the lunch classic, these vegan hummus BLT wraps make for a perfect summertime appetizer or snack!
I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
With National Hummus Day just around the corner (May 13th), Recipe Redux members are teaming up with Sabra Hummus to create delicious, healthy snacks and appetizers to celebrate. Best of all, most recipes are vegan and/or gluten free, making them ideal for parties – after all, no one should have to miss out on delicious hummus eats ;).
These lettuce wraps are based on a deconstructed lamb BLT appetizer that I had a few weeks ago. I loved how simple, yet flavorful the dish was and knew I wanted to recreate something similar at home but with a healthier twist. In place of the bacon I used tempeh bacon. It may sound difficult, but I promise you it is simple to make and you likely have all the marinade ingredients in your pantry. After letting the tempeh marinade for at least 30 minutes, all you have to do is fry it up in a small amount of canola or coconut oil.
Once your tempeh bacon is all cooked, simply place 2 slices on a piece of butter lettuce along with one or two slices of tomato and a generous dollop of hummus. While not traditional, the hummus brings a mouth-watering creaminess and savory flavor to these BLT wraps. As I wanted to balance out the flavors of the ingredients as much as possible, I went with Sabra’s Classic Hummus, but feel free to get creative with their other flavors (I think their Rosemary with Sea Salt or Jalapeno Hummus would be delicious as well!). Check out other flavor options at Sabra’s website.
While these wraps are technically a snack, you could easily pack a few for a light lunch, or place the ingredients in a whole wheat wrap for a perfect on-the-go meal.
So here’s a toast to getting your bacon on, vegan-style!
Vegan Hummus BLT Wraps
- 1 block tempeh 8-oz, cut into 24 thin strips
- 1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil for pan-frying
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch black pepper and salt
- 1 head butter lettuce Romaine lettuce also works
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- ½ container Sabra Original Hummus
- Combine marinade ingredients (soy sauce through pinch pepper and salt) in Tupperware container. Place thinly sliced tempeh on top of marinade, cover, and shake carefully to fully cover tempeh strips with marinate.
- Place tempeh in fridge and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Once marinated, heat medium skillet on medium-high and place 1 tsp of either olive oil or coconut oil in pan. Place tempeh strips in skillet along with leftover marinade. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side, or until each side turns brown and slightly crispy. Remove pan from heat.
- On cutting board, slice tomatoes into thin slices. Place 2 slices tempeh bacon, 1-2 slices tomato, and dollop of hummus on top of an individual lettuce leaf. Option to secure with tooth-pick. Enjoy!