Rolled oats get toasted in an orange-infused olive oil before being cooked in vanilla almond milk and topped with creamy, protein-packed vanilla Greek yogurt. This not-too-sweet breakfast is a perfect transition from the coziness of winter to the bright flavors of summer.
A week or two back I mentioned my newfound obsession with infused olive oils. While savory dishes are the obvious use for these oils, I started hearing about people adding fruit-flavored oils to Greek yogurt and it got me thinking about other ways to incorporate it in less obvious ways.
While I love my overnight oats during the week, on weekends I like to slow down and cook up a hot breakfast. These oats are such a perfect slow morning meal, while also being quick enough to make if you’re trying to get out and about on your weekend morning. Simply heat up the water and milk in a saucepan while you toast the oats in a skillet – love multitasking! And unlike my risotto, these oats don’t require constant babysitting. Once the oats are stirred into the milk, simply cover and let simmer until nice and creamy.
There are two essential ingredients for this recipe: orange-infused olive oil and 2% or full-fat vanilla yogurt – preferably one with vanilla bean specks (I like Siggis and Tillamook). The infused oil gives these oats a subtle orange flavor and the yogurt makes the oats taste almost like a creamsicle Want even more orange? Add some zest on top and maybe some fresh orange juice mixed into the yogurt. I topped my oats with strawberries as I like the orange, strawberry and vanilla combo, but any fruit would work.
Hope you all had a fun and relaxing weekend! Thanks to the nicer weather and a very energetic puppy, our weekends lately have been filled with hikes, walks to the park, and puppy playtime. Just two months ago if you had told me that I’d be waking up at 6 am every Saturday I wouldn’t have believed you. In fact, it would have sounded miserable. But I can honestly say I’ve never loved my weekend routine more. Sure, I don’t get to sleep in, but it’s such a good feeling getting up early, playing with the pup then heading out and being some of the first people on the hiking trails. Plus by the time Monday comes around, I feel like I truly got everything out of the weekend that I could have. It also means much more time in the morning to make a breakfast like these oats 😉
So here’s a toast to getting the most out of your mornings!
Toasted Orange and Vanilla Cream Oatmeal
- 2 Tbsp orange-infused olive oil
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup water
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup 2% fat vanilla bean Greek or Icelandic yogurt Siggi’s and Tillamook’s are my two favorites
- Optional toppings: berries orange zest, more milk
- Add oil to skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add oats. Cook until oats are toasted, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat milk and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add oats and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 10-15 min. Once creamy, remove from heat and top each with 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and any other desired toppings. Enjoy!