Happy (almost) mother’s day to any moms out there! Know what would be the ultimate mother’s day gift? Doing all the meal planning and prep for mom. . .just an idea ;).
So here it is, THT Meal Planning Guide for week 8! Seriously time is flying by, but I hope you’ve all been enjoying and have had success with the meal plans. I’d love to hear how they are going for people and any recommendations for ways to adjust. I am planning on doing a few featured meal plans this summer, so if you have special dietary needs such as vegan, gluten free, or cooking for one, hang in there as I promise those tailored plans are on their way! I will also be doing a few meal planning posts on breakfast ideas and snacks too – lot’s of exciting stuff!
Speaking of exciting, I’ve been waiting for the right time to announce that The Healthy Toast will be making it’s way back to my home state of Colorado this summer! It’s definitely a bitter-sweet feeling, as I’ve loved living in Boston these past 8 years and have not only met amazing friends, but also found my husband. It’s going to be hard leaving behind our friends, family, favorite sushi spot, and the Greek yogurt parfait at Three Little Figs (seriously, if you live in Cambridge/Somerville you have to check it out), but we’re so excited for a new adventure! I’m sure I’ll talk about the move more, but take this as an early apology if around July I’m not as on top of my posting as usual 😉
Okay, enough emotions, on to the meal plan!
P.S. Happy Birthday to my mom! In honor of her, I highly recommend indulging in a slice of Kahlua Cream Cheese Pie 😉
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Condiments of choice for burgers
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Pure maple syrup
- Brown sugar
- Hot sauce
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried Basil
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Minced garlic
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 lemon
- 1 avocado
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 container blackberries
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 containers of hummus (one Roasted Red Pepper and the other Original or Garlic flavor)
- 1 8-oz package tempeh
- 1 lb ground bison
- 2 lb chicken thighs (look for a family or value pack to save a few dollars)
- Whole wheat hamburger buns
- Whole wheat wraps or whole wheat bread (for vegan BLTs)
- 1 bag fresh whole wheat pizza dough
- Pepper jack cheese slices
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 cups Feta cheese
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts in oil (you can also buy canned artichokes instead, then use olive oil in place of the artichoke oil for the quinoa recipe)
Sunday Game Plan
Unlike the past couple weeks, this week’s meal plan is structured so that you do all the prep and quite a bit of cooking Sunday night then just reheating throughout the week. So free up your schedule, put on music or a movie you’ve seen a bunch of times and get to meal prepping! (As always, feel free to also prep and cook fresh each night if you have the time).
- For the Pizza: I recommend prepping this meal first, as you need to preheat the oven and cook chicken thighs for 30-40 minutes. While chicken bakes, prepare the blackberry glaze and store in a glass container in the fridge until Monday night. Once chicken is baked, remove from oven and cut into bite-sized pieces. Options for prep: 1. Assemble and bake the pizza Sunday then re-heat slices Monday. 2. Assemble pizza then store in the fridge and bake on Monday. 3. Assemble and cook pizza on Monday (no need to re-heat the chicken). If you plan on grilling instead of baking you will have to go with either option 1 or 3.
- For the Quinoa Casserole: while chicken for the pizza is baking and once the blackberry glaze is done, start cooking your quinoa by following instructions on your quinoa box/bag. Once cooked, follow recipe instructions for assembling the casserole. Again, option here to cook the casserole Sunday night and reheat on Tuesday, or store unbaked casserole in the fridge and bake Tuesday night.
- For the Vegan BLT’s: follow recipe instructions for marinating and cooking the tempeh bacon. Once cooked, lay out 6 whole wheat wraps, spread 2 tablespoons of hummus over each, and then evenly distribute tempeh, tomato slices, and lettuce. Roll up wraps and then cover each individually with foil. Store in Fridge until Wednesday. If you want a warm BLT, simply prep the tempeh bacon on Sunday then reheat bacon and assemble wraps on Wednesday.
- For the Bison Burgers and Cauliflower: Once your oven is done doing all your meal prep, up the temp to 425F. Break cauliflower into florets, toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then place in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast cauliflower for 15-20 minutes, or until soft and starting to brown. While cauliflower is roasting, make your bison patties and grill or pan-fry burgers until medium or your desired level of doneness. Remove patties from heat and allow to rest. While burger patties are resting, remove roasted cauliflower from oven and gently toss with hummus. Serve burgers with toppings of choice.
Phew! That’s a lot of meal prep, but I promise it’s so worth it and makes coming home from work much less stressful.