This week’s meal plan is all about end of summer, gearing up for football season foods: shrimp po-boys (New England style), sweet and spicy turkey meatballs, Mexican pizza, and healthified fried rice.
Week 20?! The fact that this is the 20th meal planning guide I’ve done just blows my mind. Like seriously, how did I go from brainstorming this idea up while at a wintery bed and breakfast in New Hampshire to living in Denver, CO where it’s been hot with blue skies all summer? I’m sure many of you are in the same boat, wondering where summer went to while partly looking forward to the fall.
As always, if you aren’t familiar with my meal planning guides, be sure to check out this intro post first.
- Sunday: New England-Style Shrimp Po Boys with Zesty Green Beans
- Monday: Sweet and Spicy Turkey Meatballs served with rice and fresh or frozen mixed vegetables
- Tuesday: Mexican Pizza
- Wednesday: Leftover meatballs
- Thursday: Extra Vegetable Fried Rice via Cookie + Kate
- Friday: Leftovers or dine out
- Rolled oats
- Whole wheat flour
- Splenda Naturals OR brown sugar (for meatballs)
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil mayonnaise
- Garlic cloves or jar of pre-minced
- Freshly grated ginger
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar (can also use apple cider vinegar)
- Old bay seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 shallot
- 1 small white onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups-worth of veggies for the fried rice (snow peas, broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper, zucchini, for example)
- Optional spinach for fried rice
- Green onions
- Fresh tarragon
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp (preferably peeled and deveined)
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 batch whole wheat pizza dough
- Whole wheat hot dog buns (the brioche ones at Whole Foods are amazing!)
- Brown rice
- Chunky salsa
- 1 15-oz can black beans, no salt added
- Optional mixed frozen vegetables to serve with meatballs (or buy fresh)
Sunday Game Plan
This is one of those weeks were you’ll some prep work Sunday and then wait to assemble and cook until the night you plan on eating the recipe. So let’s get chopping!
- Start by making the rice for the fried rice. The more leftover the better, but you can always wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to make it as well. Chop up veggies for the fried rice and store in the fridge until Thursday. On Thursday simply follow recipe instructions for assembling and cooking.
- For the meatballs, I recommend either forming the meatballs on Sunday and then baking and making the sauce fresh on Monday OR they also taste great the next day, so feel free to follow the entire recipe on Sunday and heat up leftovers on Monday for dinner.
- For the pizza, no need to prep anything today. Instead, I recommend making it fresh on Tuesday for dinner. If you’ll be short on time, go ahead and make the pizza Sunday then reheat on Tuesday. The best way to reheat pizza? On the stove. Trust me and check out this guide at Serious Eats.
- Finally follow recipe instructions for making the New England Shrimp Po Boys with zesty green beans. It goes pretty fast, so wait to make these until it’s nearly dinner time.