While still summer, this week’s meal plan is showing that casseroles aren’t just a winter thing. Be sure to read through the grocery list as I make notes of other ingredient options that I used when I made these recipes (and trust me, they all still turned out delicious ;)).
It’s a hot weekend at least out west, but luckily Bry and I are in southern California and able to cool off in the ocean. This summer has truly been a whirlwind, so I’m hoping for some time to get to relax on the beach with a new book and maybe do some blog planning as well!
As always, if you’re new to my THT Meal Planning Guides, check out this intro post first!
- Sunday: Summer Squash and Ricotta Pizza using Quick No-Rise Cornmeal-Crusted Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe
- Monday: One Pan Spring Tuscan Quinoa Bake
- Tuesday: Whole Wheat Honey-Jalapeno Cornbread Chicken Tamale Pie
- Wednesday: Fiesta Tofu Breakfast Wraps
- Thursday: Leftover Tamale Pie
- Friday: Leftovers or dine out
- White whole wheat flour
- Baking powder
- Olive oil
- Canola oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
- 4 cloves garlic
- Chili powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Dried thyme
- Dried parsley and dill (I didn’t have either of these, so I just used an Italian seasoning blend for the Tuscan Quinoa bake and it worked just fine)
- Dried Italian Seasoning
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 large or 2 small yellow summer squash
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 avocadoes
- Optional fresh basil for garnish
- Unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-4 ounces grated pecorino cheese (can use parmesan as well)
- Ricotta cheese (at least 12-oz)
- 1 lb lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- Multigrain Flatout Flatbread Wraps (or other whole wheat wrap)
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- Sun-dried tomato pesto
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Kalamata olives
- Artichokes (recipe calls for roasted, but I’ve used just regular canned artichokes and it still tasted great)
- Pickled pepperoncinis
- Yellow cornmeal
- Pizza Yeast (no-rise yeast) packets
- Applesauce (since the recipe only calls for a tablespoon and no one in my house likes applesauce, I just used an extra tablespoon of milk for the cornbread topping instead.)
- Frozen corn
Sunday Game Plan
This Sunday you have a choice: prep everything today then cook the casseroles on the nights you plan on eating them OR go ahead and just cook everything Sunday and reheat throughout the week.
- Start by cooking the quinoa for the Tuscan Quinoa Bake. Continue following recipe directions up until everything is prepared. Option here to go ahead and cook the casserole on Sunday and reheat for dinner tomorrow. Or place prepared but unbaked casserole in the fridge and bake it Monday night.
- Next, move on to the next casserole. Follow instructions for making the whole wheat honey-jalapeno cornbread chicken tamale pie. I personally recommend cooking this one on Sunday as the leftovers were better than eating it fresh the first night. Reheat on Tuesday for dinner. Option to wait to bake it until Tuesday.
- For the tofu breakfast wraps, follow recipe instructions. Option to store the filling in a sealable container, reheating and filling the wraps as you go throughout the week. Or you can assemble the wraps on Sunday, cover with foil, and eat cold or reheat throughout the week.
- Finally, make your pizza. I recommend starting by cutting and salting the summer squash to allow at least 20 minutes for the salt to draw out most of the moisture from the squash. While the squash is sitting, prepare the dough per recipe instructions. Once dough and squash are ready, continue by topping the pizza per recipe instructions, bake and eat!