Happy summer – officially! This week’s meal prep is very straight forward and contains a lot of what I consider to be staple ingredients. So hopefully you can spend less time trying to figure out what to eat and more time enjoying the nice weather!
While you’re reading this, Bry and I are finishing up packing. CRAZY! We’ve had about 3 months to think about and plan for the move, but it’s surreal thinking that after 8 years of living out here, this is our final weekend living in Boston/Cambridge. The tears haven’t started yet (I’m sure there will be plenty on actual move-out day), but our trash chute has been getting lots of attention – who knew you could cram so much stuff into 750 square feet?!
So here’s a toast to keeping eating healthy simple as life has plenty of other things to keep you busy with ;)!
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Pure maple syrup
- Condiments of choice for burgers
- Minced garlic
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Dried basil
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Dried sage
- BBQ spice blend
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- Optional avocado for burgers
- Pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus (or other vegetable of choice to serve with pulled chicken)
- 2-4 ears corn (depending on if you want ½ or 1 cob per serving)
- 2 bags mixed salad greens
- Small bottle fresh orange juice
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Will need 1 egg for burgers
- 1 package tempeh (usually in the produce section near the tofu)
- 2 lb chicken breast
- 1.5 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- Tomato paste
- 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 15-oz can no-added salt black beans
- 1 jar chunky salsa
- 16-oz frozen pitted cherries
- Frozen corn (option to use fresh)
Sunday Game Plan
This week we’re using all sorts of cooking methods, but feel free to go ahead and grill the pizza and burgers if you don’t want to heat up the kitchen.
- Start by making the Cherry BBQ Pulled Chicken in the crockpot. Allow to cook while you prep your other meals. Once done, cool quickly and store in sealable containers in the fridge. Reheat two portions for dinner on Monday and save the rest for a lunch during the week and dinner on Thursday night. Serve with a mixed greens salad and grilled vegetables (which you’ll grill while you’re grilling the shrimp kabobs).
- Follow recipe instructions for preparing the tempeh burgers. Option to cook them Sunday night or store in the freezer during the week. Just be sure to transfer them to the fridge on Tuesday night so that they are thawed by Wednesday.
- Follow recipe instructions for the shrimp kabobs. This will be your dinner Sunday night. In addition to the kabobs, throw a few ears of corn on the grill as well as vegetables to serve with your pulled chicken tomorrow night. I recommend drizzling the veggies with oil and seasoning with salt and pepper prior to grilling. Once shrimp is cooked, serve with corn and mixed greens salad.
- For the pizza, no prep work to be done Sunday. Just follow instructions on the recipe. Note: use the remaining black beans from the tempeh burgers.