Happy Saturday! If you live in the northeast then you’ll understand why, despite it being April 1st, it still feels like wintertime. As a result, I’m still craving some of those warmer, comfort-food style meals. So, this week for dinner we’re having a creamy (yet healthy) chicken casserole, chili, BBQ sweet potato burritos, roasted vegetables, and meatloaf. But don’t worry: lighter, more spring-inspired meals are on their way 😉 And as always, if you aren’t familiar with how my meal plans work, be sure to check out my earlier post here.
- Sunday: Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- Monday: Bison Meatloaf with roasted vegetables
- Tuesday: Farmer’s egg hash with leftover roasted vegetables
- Wednesday: BBQ Sweet Potato Burritos
- Thursday: Crockpot quinoa chili with cornbread (when I’m too lazy to make cornbread from scratch, my fav brand is Glutino, but feel free to use any mix or recipe that you like!)
- Friday: Leftover chili
What You’ll Need
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried thyme
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- 2 large heads broccoli (1 for the chicken casserole and the other to roast)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 lb carrots (save 1 large carrot for the chili, the rest are for roasting)
- 1 lb bag sweet potatoes (use 2 potatoes for the roasted vegetables)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large summer squash (or zucchini)
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 5 lb ground bison
- Whole wheat wraps (you may have leftover wraps from last week)
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Shredded gruyere cheese (if you have leftover mozzarella cheese from last week you can use that instead)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- 4 cans beans (2 black beans, 1 white, 1 kidney)
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4.5-oz can diced green chili pepper
- Glutino cornbread mix (optional for chili)
Sunday Meal Prep Game Plan
Two options this Sunday:
- Prep and cook all your meals for the week (except for the eggs)
- Still prep but do the most of the cooking throughout the week.
Some tips for option #2:
- Roast your vegetables (1 head broccoli, 1 cauliflower, and all but one of the carrots) on Sunday. These will be served with your meatloaf on Monday (and any meatloaf leftovers for lunch). You’ll want to reserve about 2-3 cups of the roasted vegetables for the Farmer’s Egg Hash on Tuesday.
- Form your meatloaf on Sunday, store in the fridge overnight and cook on Monday.
- On Sunday prepare and cook the BBQ burritos. Either store the ingredients separately or form the burritos and wrap in foil to store in the fridge until Wednesday.
- Dice up the vegetables for the chili on Sunday and store in a Tupperware container. Then throw the chili ingredients in a crockpot and either cook on high for 4 hours Wednesday night and store in the fridge to reheat on Thursday; or cook on low for 8 hours during the day Thursday. The cornbread can be made on Wednesday or Thursday night.
So here’s a toast to getting the last couple bites of comfort food in before grilling season!