A simple way to use up leftover corn tortillas, these Tex-Mex style migas are a delicious, filling breakfast.
We are officially in moving mode and to make matters worse I happened to come down with a nasty sinus infection. Every Spring, allergy season comes around and every year Bry tells me to start using my Neti pot to avoid getting a sinus infection. And every year I keep putting it off until the inevitable sinus infection occurs. I also happen to get super drowsy from any and all sinus medications, so packing and keeping up with the blog has been a challenge. Basically, this is my long way of apologizing for the lack of how pretty this dish is when you’re making it in the cast iron skillet. I was essentially going through the motions then remembered I needed to take pictures before Bry and I ate it. You can bet this will be a post that gets updated images soon 😉
So what are migas? I had never heard of them until I started looking up ways to use up some leftover corn tortillas that have been sitting in my fridge. Traditional Mexican migas are made by frying corn tortilla strips until almost crispy then adding in eggs and scrambling with the tortilla strips. These migas are more Tex-Mex style as I added in my healthy “refried” beans, avocado slices, salsa, and cheese.
This dish is very versatile, and I’d love to hear what you like to add to yours!
So here’s a toast to powering through for the sake of food!
Tex-Mex Style Migas
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2-3 small corn tortillas cut into strips
- 4 eggs whisked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup healthy “refried” beans link to recipe in post
- ½ avocado sliced
- Sprinkle of cheese
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Place medium-sized skillet on stove over medium-high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add tortilla strips and cook until starting to brown and almost crispy, about 30-60 seconds per side.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let pan cool down for a minute or two. Then add in eggs, salt, and peppers. Stir eggs consistently to make scrambled eggs, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once eggs are just almost done, remove from heat. Stir in cheese.
- Option to divide egg mixture into two bowls alongside beans and avocado or add beans and avocado on top and eat straight from the pan. Enjoy!