Guys, I’m addicted to the marinade in this recipe! It has the perfect balance of sweet, salty, and spicy that pairs beautifully with the nuttiness of the tempeh. Add in the roasted sweet potato slices and creamy avocado and oh my gosh so good!
I’m usually not a big sandwich person. Sure I enjoy a grilled cheese here and there and I won’t turn down a falafel wrap, but I often don’t feel as energized after a sandwich like I do with a salad or a grain bowl (instead I usually feel ready for a nap). But this sandwich is a different story. Rather than feeling like there was nothing in the cupboards so you decided to make a sandwich (no judgement, we’ve all been there ;)), this sandwich makes you feel like you are truly nourishing your body. Plus it tastes delicious.
While you do need the oven for this sandwich, it’s only 20 minutes and can be done ahead of time if you’re into meal planning.
As I mentioned above, the marinade for the tempeh is so tasty. I had a little leftover after making these sandwiches, which I drizzled over tofu and a baked sweet potato later in the week (yes, I eat a lot of sweet potatoes) – so, so good!
I liked these sandwiches as they were, but Bry recommends adding sprouts for added texture.
Can you believe Easter is already this upcoming weekend?! It really feels like I was just planning Valentine’s Day recipes for the blog. It’s doubly crazy as there are so many big and exciting things happening this summer. . .but more on all of that in later posts.
So here’s a toast to not needing meat when you have tempeh that tastes this good!
Sweet and Spicy Tempeh Sweet Potato Sandwiches
- 1 block tempeh cut into 8 equal slices
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ – ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes sliced thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado peel and sliced or mashed
- 8 slices sprouted grain bread or bread of choice
- Optional sprouts
- Place tempeh slices in a single layer in a small baking pan.
- Combine balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, 2 tbsp olive oil, soy sauce, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture over tempeh to evenly coat. Let marinate while oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Meanwhile, slice sweet potatoes into thin slices and toss with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Once oven has preheated, bake sweet potato slices and tempeh for 20 minutes, turning tempeh half way through. Remove from oven once tempeh and sweet potato slices have browned.
- Toast bread if desired (not recommended if making sandwiches in advance), then assemble sandwich by evenly distributing sweet potato slices, tempeh slices, and avocado. Add sprouts if desired for extra texture. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Green Life