A great use for leftover bakery bread, this spinach and sun-dried tomato strata is a healthy meal perfect for brunch or breakfast for dinner (it also makes for awesome leftovers to pack for lunch!).
This recipe wasn’t planned. In fact, when I was starting to plan out posts for August, I was so set on doing mostly salads and light meat entrees. But sometimes cheesy, sun-dried tomato-goodness just needs to happen, and I am more than happy to oblige.
In all seriousness, this recipe really was a spur of the moment, throw a bunch of leftovers together kind of meal. We had had my parents over for the first time since getting our new apartment fully set up, and my menu theme was Italian. For the appetizer, I kept things simple (after all, as I learned in Italy, simple is usually better 😉 ) and set out fresh ciabatta bread that I had bought from a local farmer’s market with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. While I was pretty impressed that the four of us devoured half the loaf, I still had half of it left and was determined not to let it go to waste.
Initially I thought about making French toast, but I wasn’t in the mood to make anything sweet, plus I always hate how hungry I am after eating French toast despite the large amount of carbs I just ingested. So savory it had to be. I thought back to my Cheesy Kale and Artichoke Strata and decided to do an Italian twist. The best part about this recipe is that I didn’t need to go to the grocery store for a single ingredient! The bread, cheese, and spinach were all leftover from my Italian-themed dinner party and the sun-dried tomatoes were leftover from my Zesty Greek Turkey Burgers.
Stratas are the ultimate easy meal as they are super quick to assemble, can be (and should be) prepared overnight, and you can throw in pretty much any ingredients you have leftover in the fridge, freezer, or pantry.
So here’s a toast to cheesy, sun-dried tomato-goodness!
Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Strata
- ½ loaf couple-days-old ciabatta bread about 7-oz
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Salt or more to taste
- ½ tsp Pepper or more to taste
- ¾ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese separated
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes drained of oil
- 7- oz frozen spinach thawed and squeezed of liquid
- Spray a 8×12 pan with olive oil spray.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and place cubes in prepared pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, almond milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir in ¼ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes and frozen spinach. Add to egg mixture.
- Pour egg and spinach mixture over bread cubes. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese.
- Place in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until eggs are set and bread is browning.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!