These freezer-friendly slow cooker Italian Chicken wraps are perfect for meal prep! Simply make a batch one weekend and have ready to go lunches for months.
Back in February, Bry and I went up to Steamboat with a couple of our friends. One of the responsibilities that often comes with being the dietitian in the group (and food blogger) is coming up with the menu and doing a decent amount of the cooking. And I’m not complaining. I love cooking with friends as it’s always a great opportunity to try out a new recipe. Knowing we’d be on the slopes all day, I wanted a slow cooker recipe, so that all we had to do when we got home was dig in.
I ended up making Skinny Taste’s Slow Cooker Italian Beef Hoagies. And while the sandwiches were a hit, I came up with what I thought would be a weird way to use up the leftovers but ended up being delicious: the leftover Italian shredded beef, wrapped in a whole-wheat tortilla along with leftover tzatziki sauce from Greek quesadillas I had made earlier that week. While Italian and tzatziki sauce may not sound like a match made in heaven, I was seriously impressed. And even better news? They taste even better after being frozen for a week or two then re-heated.
I’m always on the lookout for truly freezer-friendly recipes, and this is one of them. I adjusted the recipe a bit as I found the Italian seasoning mix from Skinny Taste, while good, could be simplified. I also swapped chicken for the beef to make it a bit leaner and cheaper. While you could just make the shredded chicken and put it in a sandwich with cheese, I recommend giving the tzatziki combo a try.
To freeze, simply wrap assembled wraps in foil and place those in a Ziploc bag or sealable container to avoid freezer-burn. When ready to reheat, simply remove the foil, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave. When I bring one for lunch I’ll put it in my lunchbox in the fridge overnight, then it’s even faster to reheat the next day.
I hope you all had a good Easter! Bry and I traveled back to Connecticut to spend the holiday with his relatives. And let me tell you, Italians know how to celebrate Easter. So much lasagna, red wine, and desserts. Pretty sure I’ll be full for the rest of the week ;).
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Wraps (Freezer-Friendly)
For the Wraps:
- 2 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning mix
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 red bell peppers cut into thin strips
- 16- oz jar pepperoncini or amount per personal preference
- Tzatziki sauce recipe below
- 6 whole wheat wraps
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups plain greek yogurt I used 2% fat
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill or mint
- salt to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Place chicken breast, onion powder, black pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic, and chicken broth in slow cooker. Cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 5-6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.
- Once cooked, add 1/2 – ¾ cup of pepperoncini’s and the bell peppers to the slow cooker, cover and cook another 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make tzatziki sauce by combining all tzatziki ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Assemble wraps by evenly dividing chicken and drizzling sauce on top (note, you will likely have leftover sauce). Roll wraps and either eat immediately or cover in foil then place in a freezer-friendly sealable container (a zip lock bag or Tupperware work well).
- To reheat from frozen, remove foil and cover wrap with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1.5 minutes, flip, then microwave for another 1-1.5 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
- Wraps last for about 3 months in the freezer.