This simple strawberry spinach salad with cornbread croutons make for a perfect side dish to a summer meal or add some protein for an entrée-sized salad.
I’m a little bummed to be sharing this recipe. Not because I don’t like it I do – I would never share something I didn’t like! But today’s post was supposed to be a sweet and savory cornmeal pancake recipe. Unfortunately I just can’t get the recipe right yet, so no pancakes are happening today. But I promise I’m not giving up on my cornmeal pancake dream!
However, I did discover that tossing day-old cornbread with a little olive oil and baking it for 10-15 minutes gives you delicious cornbread croutons! And while I love me a big salad with a bunch of ingredients, life has been crazy lately making me want some simplicity. As a result, this salad is just summer-fresh strawberries, roasted cornbread, spinach, and a homemade honey apple cider vinegar dressing. Feel free to jazz it up though – I think sliced almonds would be delicious! To turn this from a side salad to an entrée, simply add a protein source such as grilled chicken or steak, or for a vegetarian option you could add roasted chickpeas or tofu.
So here’s a toast to keeping it simple!
Simple Strawberry Spinach Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- ½ batch cornbread preferably a day or two old
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pint strawberries washed and sliced
- 1 10- oz package baby spinach rinsed and dried
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- Pinch of each black pepper sweet paprika, granulated garlic and salt
- Option: 4 servings of chicken steak, tofu, or chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 375F and cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut leftover cornbread into 1” cubes and place in large mixing bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ tsp pepper, and ¼ tsp salt. Place cornbread onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a mason jar or mixing bowl prepare your dressing by whisking ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp mustard, 2 tsp honey, and seasonings. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
- To assemble salad, place spinach in a large serving bowl. Add diced strawberries and cooked cornbread croutons. When ready to serve, toss salad with dressing. Enjoy! Option to add a protein source for an entrée salad. I recommend either grilled chicken or steak for an omnivore option or roasted tofu or chickpeas for vegetarians.