This simple pasta dish is made with quality ingredients for a quick weeknight meal or a deceptively impressive dish to serve guests.
This is one of those recipes that I didn’t make with the plan of putting it on the blog. In fact, it wasn’t really a “recipe” but more of a way to use up leftovers in the fridge and pantry. But after just a few bites I was regretting not taking pictures of it so I could share it with you. But being the selfless guy he is, Bry suggested I make it again the next week so I could take pictures this time – I’m sure it wasn’t just an excuse to eat it again ;).
While I’m by no means an expert in Italian cooking (not even close), but what I have learned is that the best Italian food is the simplest. Because we’re working with minimal ingredients, it’s important to go for quality. Fresh cherry tomatoes, fragrant garlic, and good-quality olive oil are key. To get in some greens, I used leftover kale, but feel free to use spinach instead. And for the parmesan cheese, I recommend buying a block and shredding it at home.
Curious as to what makes kale such a healthy vegetable? There’s a great article over at HealthyLine.com that gives a full run-down on all the health benefits of kale, including heart health, type 2 diabetes protection, and healthy-looking skin and hair.
For those of you who celebrate, happy Easter weekend! Bry and I are heading down to Connecticut to spend it with family. Unfortunately I picked this month to do a no-added sugar challenge so there won’t be any chocolate bunnies for me, but luckily there will be plenty of good food to keep my stomach nice and full 😉
So here’s a toast to keeping it simple this Friday!
Simple Kale and Chicken Sausage Pasta
- 8- oz dry bowtie pasta can use other forms of pasta, just adjust pasta cooking time per package instructions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups kale stems removed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 package spicy Italian chicken sausage pre-cooked, diced
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese plus extra to garnish if desired
- Juice from ¼ lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring medium pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add bowtie pasta and boil for 12 minutes, or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and kale. Add pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until kale begins to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Add in cherry tomatoes and chicken sausage. Cook until sausage is warmed through and tomatoes begin to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain but set aside ¼ cup of pasta water.
- Add reserved pasta water and parmesan cheese to skillet and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide pasta evenly between 4 bowls and top each with sausage and kale mixture. Serve with additional parmesan cheese if desired.