A summertime classic gets a homemade twist! Shrimp and fresh veggies are marinated in a homemade zesty Italian dressing and then grilled to perfection.
Grilling always brings me back to college when Bry and his roommates bought their first grill. While we discovered most things taste better grilled (pizza especially!), the meal I found myself craving the most also happened to be the simplest: grilled shrimp and veggies marinated in Italian dressing. In my quest to start making more things from scratch, I’ve realized how delicious homemade dressings and marinades can be as well as how EASY they are to make! As long as you have some type of vinegar and oil at home you can make a salad dressing. Want more flavor? Simply throw in some mustard, honey, or herbs and spices.
One of our favorites is a simple Dijon mustard-based dressing, which we make almost weekly, but for whatever reason I’ve been hesitant to make my own Italian dressing. I think looking at a bottle of Italian dressing had me convinced there were too many ingredients and it would be too difficult to get the balance just right. Well I was wrong. Yes, there are a number of ingredients, but in no way are there “too many” especially since I bet you have all of them in your pantry now. And as for the balance? As with cooking, it is all about tasting as you go. So this summer I encourage you to put down the bottle of Italian dressing in the store and shake up your own at home – I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Know what’s even better than these kabobs? Having a peanut-butter cup banana boat for dessert – stay tuned for the recipe later this week 😉
So here’s a toast to kicking off the Healthy Toast Summer Recipe Series!
Shrimp Kabobs with Homemade Zesty Italian Dressing
For the Italian Dressing (makes 1 ½ cup-worth)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
For the Kabobs
- 1 lb raw shrimp peeled & deveined
- 3-4 zucchini cut into 1”-thick circles
- 2 bell peppers cut into 4ths (you want the pieces to be large enough not to fall through the grates)
- 1 ½ cups of Italian dressing
To make the Italian dressing
- Place ingredients in a closeable container and shake well to combine.
To make the kabobs
- Remove tails from shrimp and then rinse shrimp under cold water. Place in a large sealable container or ziplock bag.
- Wash and cut vegetables. Place in container with shrimp. Pour Italian dressing over shrimp and vegetables and cover with lid. Shake well and then place in fridge for 30 minutes up to overnight.
- Thred shrimp and vegetables (optional to alternate) on skewers.
- Heat grill on high setting. Allow to preheat for about 10 minutes. Carefully place skewers and peppers directly on the grate. Turn after about 2 minutes, or until the face-side down turns orange. Cook on other side for another 2 minutes, or until cooked through. Hint: watch shrimp carefully as they can go from cooked to over-cooked quickly. Remove from heat, plate, and enjoy! Recommend serving with brown rice, farro, quinoa, or as a salad.