This turmeric chicken and rice with spinach and tomatoes is made in just one pan and doesn’t require turning on the oven. Filled with lean protein and healthy spices, this nourishing dinner is perfect for cold winter nights.
I love any meal that only requires one pan/bowl/baking sheet to clean. As a food blogger, I feel like I spend more time doing dishes than actually cooking and taking pictures.
And as much as I love the warm water, having a never-ending pile of dishes stacked up in the sink drives me just a little bit crazy. . .
But not this recipe. Okay, yes you will need to wash a cutting board, but other than that it’s just the pan that has to be cleaned at the end of the meal. But I can handle one pan. One pan doesn’t peer out from the sink, reminding me all throughout dinner of how much of my night will be spent doing dishes.
While turmeric can be on the bitter side, I promise that this dish is not overly bitter! Thanks to yellow curry powder, cinnamon and fragrant jasmine rice, the turmeric adds more color than it does flavor.
What You’ll Need:
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- Unsalted butter
- 2 Plum tomatoes
- 2 Carrots
- Yellow curry powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cumin
- Brown basmati rice
- Light soy sauce (Tamari-style for gluten free)
- Chicken broth
Do I need a Cast Iron?
Short answer: no. However, a heavier pan, such as a cast iron or dutch oven, does distribute heat more evenly, which is key when cooking an entire meal on the stove. It’s also important that your pan is deep enough to hold all the rice, chicken, and broth.
Worried about tomatoes in a cast iron? As long as you’ve used and seasoned your pan before, you are in the clear to use more acidic ingredients in your cast iron.
Can I Use Another Type of Rice?
Yes. Any long-grain rice will work well; however, flavor-wise I prefer jasmine or basmatti over brown or white rice.
Melt butter over medium high heat in a heavy-bottom pan. Once melted, add turmeric. Stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
Add chicken thighs to pan and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook other side until browned, 4 min. Place on paper towel-lined plate.
Add garlic, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, white scallion slices and spices to pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add rice to pan and cook another 1 minute. Place chicken on top of rice followed by the broth and soy sauce.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook 30-35 minutes, or until rice is cooked. Note, depending on the type of rice you choose, this cooking time may be longer. I recommend starting to check around 30 minutes.
Garnish with green scallions and dig in!
Looking for more one-pan meals?
Want to spend less time doing dishes and more time enjoying your dinner? Check out these other one-pan meals on THT!
- Healthier Spring Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto
- Sheet Pan Dijon Maple Pork Tenderloin
- Sheet Pan Cranberry Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Love this dish? Share the love by Pinning or tagging @TheHealthyToast_RD on Instagram!
One-Pan Turmeric Chicken and Rice
- 6 skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 2 lb)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 4 cups spinach roughly chopped
- 3 scallions sliced white and green ends divided.
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce Tamari-style for gluten free
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Melt butter over medium high heat and add turmeric.
- Add chicken to pan and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook other side until browned, 4 min. Place on paper towel-lined plate.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, white scallion slices and spices to pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add rice to pan and cook another 1 minute. Place chicken on top of rice followed by the broth and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook 30-35 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Garnish with green scallions.