These New England-Style Shrimp Po Boys are the ultimate summertime meal. Served with a side of zesty sautéed green beans, this is a balanced dish that will impress your family or dinner guests.
This recipe is one of my absolute favorites! After multiple times making it, I still can’t decide what’s my favorite part: the zesty mustard vinaigrette or the creamy, savory sauce coating perfectly cooked shrimp. Seriously, each component is so good on its own, but then put them together and the flavors just balance each other out so well.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure on the right-hand side of this website
The first time Bry and I made these, it was just a regular after work dinner. But we were so excited about it that we made a huge batch for my birthday the next year and invited all our friends over to enjoy it with us. That’s another awesome thing about this recipe: it’s super easy to double, triple, or even quadruple for a dinner party. Plus the actual cooking time takes less than 10 minutes and both sauces can be prepared ahead of time.
Now this recipe isn’t the original that we started with. The original recipe called for all mayonnaise, less lemon, and didn’t add the old bay seasoning to the vinaigrette. Over time, I tweaked the recipe to what it is today. And if I may say so myself, I think I got it just right 🙂
I beg you to make these shrimp po boys for dinner this week as an ode to the final days of summer!
So here’s a toast to a recipe that you can show off with!
New England-Style Shrimp Po Boys with Zesty Green Beans
For the Green Beans:
- 12- oz green beans
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 lemons
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp old bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the Po Boys:
- 1.5 lb uncooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 tsp old bay seasoning
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 4 Whole wheat hot dog buns
- Optional hot sauce
Prep Green Beans and Vinaigrette:
- Wash and drain green beans, then cut of the stem ends. Set aside.
- Next, make mustard vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk together diced shallot, juice from 2 lemons, Dijon mustard, ½ tsp old bay seasoning, and salt and pepper (to taste). Once combined, whisk in olive oil then set aside.
For the Sauce:
- Combine mayo, Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette that you just made, and 2 tsp old bay seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cook Green Beans:
- To cook beans, place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add green beans to skillet and cook until blistered, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and toss with the mustard vinaigrette. Set aside while you cook the shrimp.
Prepare Shrimp and Assemble Sandwiches:
- Prepare the shrimp by rinsing peeled and deveined shrimp. To cook, option to boil or grill. If boiling, place a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add shrimp and 2 tsp of old bay seasoning to the pot and boil for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds then place in a bowl. If grilling, toss shrimp in 2 tsp of old bay seasoning and skewer them. Place skewers on hot grill and cook about 2 minutes per side. Remove cooked shrimp from skewers and place in a bowl.
- Add the Greek yogurt sauce to the cooked shrimp and toss to coat the shrimp.
- To serve, place shrimp in the hot dog buns and serve the zesty green beans on the side. Option to add hot sauce on top of po boys. Enjoy!
Find some of these ingredients on Amazon: