Bry advice for the day: season your vegetables like you would your meat. Thanks to an easy homemade seasoning, these cauliflower steaks are finger-licking good!
This seasoning came about from a last-minute text from Bry informing me we were grilling steak tips with friends and I was responsible for coming up with a meat rub on the fly. I quickly Googled a bunch of different seasoning recipes, combined a few that looked good, then tasted and adjusted until I got mine just right. When Bry got home, I quickly rubbed the seasoning over the steak tips, drizzled on some olive oil, and onto the grill they went. Delicious! This seasoning provides just the right amount of flavor without being overly salty or herby.
Fast forward a few weeks to Bison burger night. While zucchini and peppers are my standard grilling vegetables, I wanted a meatier vegetable side dish. Cauliflower steaks are so easy to make, yet look impressive next to your entrée of choice. Simply slice a head of cauliflower vertically into 4 “steaks,” spray each side with olive oil cooking spray, and sprinkle on your seasoning – in this case my favorite steak seasoning.
While the bison burgers were juicy and delicious, I was actually more impressed with how much I liked this cauliflower! The edges were nice and crispy, while the center became nicely tender. And thanks to the seasoning, each bite was deliciously savory. But be sure to go light on the seasoning! I was a little heavy handed with the seasoning on some zucchini the other day and it was too over-powering. Just a nice dusting is all you need!
So here’s a toast to letting vegetables get the same seasoning treatment as meat!
Favorite Steak Seasoning + Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 head of cauliflower rinsed and dried
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon Steak Seasoning
- Make your seasoning by combining all ingredients in a sealable container as you will have most of the seasoning leftover (I prefer using a small mason jar so it fits in my spice cabinet).
- Place rinsed head of cauliflower on a cutting board. Carefully slice cauliflower vertically into 4 steaks. It’s okay if a few florets fall off. Lay steaks on a large plate or baking sheet. Spray one side with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle over seasoning. Flip steaks and repeat.
- Turn grill to high. Once heated, place steaks on grates and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Carefully flip your steaks and then continue to grill for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and dig in!