These mojito chicken tacos are a fresh, healthy option for celebrating Cinco de Mayo – guilt-free! Protein-packed chicken breasts are covered with a mojito marinade consisting of (as I’m sure you’ve guessed) lime, mint, and rum, as well as some olive oil, garlic and spices. Simply grill (my preference) or bake the chicken, and then layer up your tacos! While I originally intended this chicken to go in tacos, the next night we used the leftovers in quesadillas and they were the bomb! I’m just sad I didn’t get a good picture to share with you. It would also be great on top of a salad if you’re really looking to lighten up your summer meals. So whether you go the taco route or get your cheesy quesadilla on, this chicken recipe deserves a spot on your dinner table soon!
While these mojito chicken tacos are perfect for Cinco de Mayo, they’re also somewhat of a mother’s day tribute. Growing up, my mom LOVED taco night – in fact we probably didn’t go more than two weeks without tacos for dinner. I, on the other hand, was not a fan of this tradition. Yes, I liked getting to choose my ingredients and the taco meat my mom made was always super flavorful, but eating the hard shell tacos was always so stressful. I’m sure you’ve been there too: you carefully construct your taco layers, with ground turkey or beef at the bottom and layers of cheese, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and guac on top. You sit down and take you first bite. The shell cracks, all your fillings start falling out, and the meal goes from a fun food to eat with your hands to a confusing half hands half needing a fork meal. At least in my experience. That is until I discovered soft tacos.
This recipe keeps my taco-anxiety at bay as the soft tortilla keeps the chicken perfectly layered between the guac, salsa, cheese, and pineapple. No need for a fork here (unless you over-stuff your taco like Bry 😉 ).
The mojito part also has to do with my mom as she and I are always on the lookout for places that make a truly good mojito – for such a simple drink it’s incredibly difficult to get one made just right. While these tacos do contain rum, feel free to leave it out. While the rum is optional, the mint and lime are not! And just like the drink, it’s important to get the balance of the two just right for this marinade. So while I’ll share with you how much I used, make sure to taste your marinade before adding it to the chicken to make sure you get the lime and mint flavors to your liking.
So here’s a toast to having mojitos with everything 😉
Mojito Chicken Tacos
For the Mojito Marinade
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1-2 sprigs mint chopped
- 1-2 T white rum optional
- 1 T olive oil
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the tacos
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 batch of Mojito Marinade
- Pinch of salt and chili powder
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 2-4 sprigs of mint depending on how minty you want your tacos
- 1 lime
- 8 small whole wheat soft tacos or 4 large tortillas for more of a wrap/burrito style
For the Chicken
- Trim chicken and season with salt and chili powder. Set aside.
For the Marinade
- Whisk together marinade ingredients. Taste and adjust. Pour over chicken and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but ideally overnight.
For the tacos
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or preheat oven to 400°F).
- Place whole chicken breasts on grill (or in the oven on a baking sheet). Grill or bake for 10 minutes on each side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once chicken is cooked, place on cutting board and slice into strips. Place strips on your soft taco and start layering with avocado slices, pineapple chunks, and feta cheese. Garnish with mint and a squeeze of lime juice. Fold and enjoy!