Dinner doesn’t get much easier than this Italian Tortellini Soup. Simmer together chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, baby spinach, and cheesy tortellini for a nutritious meal to keep you warm throughout the winter.
I’ve gotten on a soup-kick lately. Besides being nice and warm, soups are incredibly convenient not just for dinner but also for lunches. Simply whip up a large batch on Sunday and pre-portion into individual tupperware containers. This way, each night all I need to do it put a container of soup, a piece of fruit, and a yogurt in mine and Bry’s lunch boxes then go and enjoy the few hours between work and bedtime (which sadly has been creeping up from midnight during college to now 9pm because #adultlife).
This soup could not be easier: once you’ve minced the garlic, all that’s left to do is pour ingredients into a soup pot and let it simmer. Because both Bry and I like a little spice to our food, I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes, but feel free to use regular diced tomatoes and add your own black or red pepper flakes according to your taste preferences.
Another bonus? It’s also very friendly on the budget! For this month’s Recipe Redux, we were challenged to come up with delicious entrees that ring in at $3.00 or less per serving: How low can you go? Can you make a meal for less than $3 per serving? Whatever your budget, show us your healthy entree recipe to help keep food spending in check in 2017.
And let me tell you, with this recipe you can go way low on the budget (even when shopping in Boston):
1 12-oz package mixed cheese tortellini: $4.50 per bag = $1.13 per serving
1 6-oz bag baby spinach: $2.50 per bag = $0.62 per serving
1 can fire roasted tomatoes: $0.79 per can = $0.20 per serving
48 ounces chicken broth: $1.79 per 32-oz carton = $0.72 per serving
Cost per serving: $2.67
So here’s a toast to easy, delicious recipes that are easy on the budget!
Italian Tortellini Spinach Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth*
- 1 14- oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 12- oz package cheese tortellini
- 6- oz bag fresh baby spinach
- Fresh parmesan cheese to serve optional
- Place large soup pot over medium heat. Add 1 tsp olive oil to pot. Once oil is warm, add garlic and sauté for 30sec-1 min, or until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in dried packaged tortellini and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes (do not fully cook the tortellini yet, you want it al-dente).
- Reduce to a simmer and add in spinach. Simmer for 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tortellini is completely cooked.
- Divide into 4 bowls and top with freshly shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!