Lighten up the classic honey roasted carrots side dish this Thanksgiving – your doctor (and dietitian) will thank you 😉
I used to LOVE those bags of honey carrots you could buy in the frozen section. All you had to do was empty the bag into a microwave safe bowl, add a splash of water, cover, and microwave for a minute or two then voila! A steaming bowl of buttery, sugary goodness that you could tell yourself was okay because carrots are vegetables.
While part of me would still love a bite of those basically candied carrots, I’ve grown to really like the earthy sweetness naturally found in roasted carrots. So instead of smothering the carrots with sugar and butter, these roasted carrots are lightly sweetened with organic honey, heart healthy olive oil, and a touch of ginger.
Simply wash and peel your carrots, toss in a honey ginger marinade, and roast away in the oven. Yes, it takes a little longer than steaming a bag of pre-seasoned carrots in the microwave, but the flavors and textures are so worth it!
As with my garlic roasted brussels sprouts, these carrots are lightly flavored, making them an easy side dish for numerous main entrees. Especially with events like Thanksgiving where there are a lot of different kinds of foods, I always enjoy having a few foods that get along with pretty much everything else at the table. But feel free to jazz them up a bit with extra ginger or roasted garlic.
So here’s a toast to keeping things simply sweet 😉
Honey Ginger Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb bag whole carrots
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1-2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Wash and peel carrots. Cut in half length-wise (optional to then cut in half again, this time horizontally)
- Combine all ingredients, except carrots, in a large mixing bowl. Add carrots and toss well.
- Place carrots in one layer on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for 12 minutes.
- Rotate sheet then cook another 6-10 minutes or until carrots can easily be poked through with a fork.
- Remove from oven and serve.