Satisfy your cookie dough cravings with these healthy chocolate chip cookie dough bites! Made from a base of dates and cashews, these bites are a wholesome snack, perfect for that 3pm slump or a pre-workout energy boost!
There are many essentials in the Healthy Toast Household: 10 lb bag of rolled oats, at least 1 container of both peanut and almond butter, Greek yogurt, dark chocolate, and date bites. I love date bites as they’re super simple to make and are perfect for when you just need a quick bit of energy to get you through to the next meal (they also make for a great dessert!). To keep these budget-friendly, I purchase my cashews (order cashew pieces instead of whole cashews to save even more $$) and dates in bulk online.
As I’m all about having a variety of options, I tend to make a couple batches of bites at a time, all different flavors. My usual go-to’s are my brownie bites and these oatmeal cookie bites. However, that was before I made these chocolate chip cookie dough ones. Since making them the first time, I’ve started only making huge batches of these as I was always searching through my large zip-loc bag of bites in the freezer to pick out only the chocolate chip cookie dough ones.
As I mentioned before, these guys are super simple! All you need are cashew pieces, dates, almond extract (essential!), mini chocolate chips, and a pinch of salt. You’ll also need a food processor – if you don’t have one I highly encourage getting one! I use mine almost every day, from making these bites to pulsing oats into flour to making dips and soups, it comes in handy. Oh, and food processors are awesome for shredding vegetables! If you like my beet burgers, you’ll love them even more when you can let the food processor do all the shredding.
I’ve especially been grateful for these bites as I just started a new job at the beginning of October. It’s been a pretty big switch as I went from outpatient nutrition counseling to working in nutrition research. As you can imagine there is SO much to learn and my brain has been needing all the glucose (a.k.a brain energy) that it can get.
So here’s a toast to brain-powering cookie dough!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- 12 large medjool dates pitted (81 grams) soaked in a bowl of hot water
- 1 cup 140 grams cashew pieces
- Pinch salt
- ½ – 1 tsp almond extract taste and adjust per preference
- 1 heaping tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- Place dates in a bowl of hot water and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes, depending on how fresh and soft they are (softer ones will need less soaking time).
- Meanwhile, place cashews and pinch of salt in food processor. Pulse until sand-like texture.
- Add dates and ½ tsp almond extract. Pulse until dates are completely broken down and mixture is sticking together. Taste and add more almond extract if needed.
- Add tablespoon of mini chocolate chips and pulse 2-3 more times, just until chips are evenly distributed in mixture.
- Roll date mixture into balls (I usually get about 16) and place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet in freezer for 15 minutes then transfer bites to a freezer bag or Tupperware container.
- Bites can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, I may receive
compensation. This compensation comes at no additional cost to you, and as always I only recommend products I trust!
Ingredients and tools to make this recipe:
Pin for later!