This light, but flavorful chicken and fresh tomato tortilla soup proves that soup doesn’t have to be just a “winter thing.” Simply throw ingredients in your slow cooker and head off to the beach or on a hike while the soup simmers away at home.
There’s a restaurant in Brookline called El Centro that makes the most filling, yet delicious chicken tortilla soup. I have no idea how they can make such a light broth-based soup that with one bowl will fill you up for hours afterwards. Well, I have somewhat of an idea as they put half an avocado on the bottom of the bowl, which is a fun surprise the first time you order soup there. But still, such a simple recipe yet it makes for a very satisfying meal.
Another thing I love about the soup there is that it doesn’t taste like canned tomatoes. While I have nothing against using canned tomatoes to make a soup, I’ve been loving the tomatoes at the grocery store lately and felt they would be a perfect addition for a Spring-friendly soup. In addition to fresh tomatoes, I threw in a jalapeno for a touch of spice (feel free to use 2 jalapenos for a true kick of heat), black beans, organic chicken breast, frozen corn (although fresh corn this summer would be delicious in this), juice of 1 lime, chicken broth, and spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper).
Yes, it may sound like a lot of ingredients, but almost all of them are pantry staples (at least in my house). Of course it wouldn’t be tortilla soup without tortillas. For dinner I served this soup with tortilla chips, but then for lunch I packed just a regular whole wheat tortilla to dip into the soup and liked that version the best. Totally up to you! P.S. Homemade tortilla chips would be AMAZING with this.
For a finishing touch, I served the soup with ¼ of an avocado per bowl, but for the true El Centro experience go ahead and drop ½ an avocado into each bowl ;).
It’s no coincidence I’m posting this recipe the week of Cinco De Mayo. Mexican cuisine is one of my favorites (this includes margaritas 😉 ) as many recipes are easy to put a healthier spin on. Be sure to stop by the blog for a roundup of some of these healthier recipes on Friday!
Healthy Chicken and Fresh Tomato Tortilla Soup
- lb skinless chicken breasts
- 4 vine tomatoes diced
- 1-2 jalapenos diced I kept the seeds as I wanted the heat, but feel free to remove
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 15- oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional additions for serving: Avocado Tortillas or tortilla chips , Shredded Mexican cheese
- Place all ingredients from chicken – salt and pepper in slow cooker. Cook on low for 7.5 hours.
- When timer is up, remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Option to blend a few cups of the soup to make it a little thicker, but I prefer the chunks of vegetables. Place chicken back in slow cooker, add lime juice, and continue cooking on low for an additional 10-20 minutes.
- Taste, adjust seasonings, and then portion out. Option to add avocado slices, tortillas/tortilla chips, and/or cheese. Enjoy!