Inspired by the cornbread at Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox in Denver, this green chili and goat cheese cornbread is a delicious southwestern twist on traditionally sweet cornbread.
Note: recipe updated 11/24/17 after making a few key changes for Thanksgiving.
As I mentioned in a previous post, traditional Colorado cuisine is all about green chilis (there’s a debate out west as to whether New Mexico or Colorado have better green chili sauces). And while I’m used to my breakfast burrito being smothered in a perfectly flavored green chili sauce, dining at Ophelia’s was the first time that I’ve had either goat cheese or cornbread combined with green chilis. And let me tell you, the three of these ingredients are a combo made in heaven!
While this recipe also includes instructions for the cornbread batter, you could easily sub in your favorite cornbread recipe instead. If you can’t find hatch chili peppers, you can sub in poblano peppers or jalapeno.
This cornbread is delicious with eggs for a savory brunch, alongside roasted chicken thighs for a more southern-style dinner, or with a big bowl of chili (I recommend this pumpkin one or a more traditional bison chili). I’m actually planning on serving it alongside this harvest salad for a first course at Thanksgiving this year.
Speaking of Thanksgiving, it’s going to be a bit smaller one this year as with the move and starting new jobs, Bry and I can’t take too vacation time to visit family. So instead, Brys mom and stepdad are coming to us! Initially I was planning a traditional menu, but then I started thinking about how few Thanksgiving foods I actually like (after all, it’s all about the sides) and I want to give my in-law’s a taste of Colorado. So instead I’m planning on a Southwest theme with steak instead of turkey. For some this may seem blasphemous, but at the end of the day Thanksgiving is more about being with people we love than sticking to a strict turkey and mashed potatoes menu.
So here’s a toast to venturing off the beaten road (your taste buds will thank you)!
Green Chili and Goat Cheese Cornbread
- 1/2 cup fine grain yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup coarse ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp raw cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup light buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 hatch green chili diced (or 1 jalapeno diced, with seeds)
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese cut into small pieces (the kind that is shaped like a log)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425F. Put tablespoon of butter in cast iron or baking pan and place in oven while it preheats.
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, and Greek yogurt.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine. Carefully fold in goat cheese and green chili (or jalapeno, include the seeds).
- Once oven is preheated, remove pan from oven, pour batter evenly into skillet or pan and return to oven. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into 12 squares or slices and enjoy!