These fluffy pancakes are the perfect birthday breakfast, or just a cheerful way to start a Sunday morning! And no need to tell anyone that they’re on the healthier side thanks to protein-rich Greek yogurt!
I don’t know about you, but I’m so in the celebratory mood lately. It’s May and that means shorts-weather (I forgot just how pale my legs get in the winter. . .), start of hiking season, making summer plans, dining outside, and Mother’s Day weekend. While for most people, Mother’s Day means finally breaking out the summer dresses and enjoying brunch on a Sunday, in our house it was always a week-long event as my mom’s birthday often falls on or near Mother’s Day.
While she isn’t the biggest fan of having to share her birthday with Mother’s Day (note to all husbands and sons: just because a birthday falls on or around Mother’s Day, it’s not an excuse to only celebrate once), I’ve always loved it because it means a whole weekend of getting to go out to eat and at least two delicious desserts. Last year I shared my mom’s favorite birthday dessert: Kahlua Cream Cheese Pie. If you haven’t tried that recipe yet, stop what you’re doing and head over there now. Even better, make it for your mom as a special Mother’s Day surprise!
I can’t claim that these pancakes are my mom’s preferred breakfast. In fact, she would much rather have something savory like an egg and cheese croissant or an apple and brie omelet. So, I guess it’s a bit selfish as these are exactly what I’d want for my birthday breakfast (*note to husband). Perfectly fluffy and a tad healthier thanks to Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, these pancakes are so bright and cheerful. So whether you’re celebrating a birthday or just the fact that it’s finally sunny, I hope you enjoy!
And speaking of celebrating, as if moving back to Colorado and getting a puppy all within the span of 10 months wasn’t enough change, Bry and I are (almost) homeowners! Well, condo-owners. Fingers crossed everything goes well with closing, but we are officially under contract. And man am I glad I won’t have to go through that again for quite some time. If any of you have bought a house in a hot market like Denver, you definitely deserve a LARGE stack of these pancakes with extra sprinkles and syrup.
So here’s a toast to Momma Toast – Happy Birthday!
Fluffy Greek Yogurt Birthday Pancakes
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Optional: syrup and fruit for serving
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and sugar. In another bowl combine the milk, eggs, yogurt and extracts; slowly pour into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined (you want some lumps). Very gently fold in sprinkles.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray or lightly coat with butter. Once pan is hot, drop ¼ cup of batter onto griddle. Cook until edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the sides, about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Place cooked pancake on a plate and cover with foil (I often heat my oven to the warm setting (175 F) and keep my cooked pancakes nice and warm in there). Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with syrup and sliced fruit. Enjoy!