For a flavor-packed vegan breakfast that you can take on the go, look no further than these fiesta tofu breakfast wraps. Crumbled and seasoned extra firm tofu is sautéed with garlic and red bell pepper then stuffed in a whole wheat wrap along with creamy avocado and fresh greens. Healthy, easy, and ready in less than 20 minutes. It can also be prepped in advance for the ultimate grab-and-go breakfast!
This month’s Recipe Redux Challenge was all about going savory for the most important meal of the day (and just in time for back to school):
The trend of protein-packed breakfasts is catching on…and back-to-school time is looming. This month, show us new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast. Think egg burritos, beans and rice, or maybe even pasta?!
While I more of a sweet breakfast person, it’s nice to change things up from time-to-time. However, usually savory breakfast = eggs, and I don’t know about you but I can get sick of eggs real quick. Tofu is a healthy, versatile protein option that makes for a killer breakfast wrap filler. In addition to being high in protein (key for keeping you full and focused during class or work), tofu is an excellent source of iron and calcium. To make this a balanced breakfast, you have your veggies (avocado, red bell pepper, and mixed greens) and a whole grain thanks to the wrap.
While delicious as-is, feel free to bump up the flavor even more with cheese (vegan or non-vegan based on personal preference) and/or hot sauce. Bry also mentioned adding grilled onion for any of you onion fans out there.
To make these a quick grab-and-go breakfast, feel free to make a batch and store in the freezer then reheat on your way out the door in the morning.
I may be one of the few people who really misses back-to-school. Seriously, it was my favorite time of year as I had a nerdy love for school supplies and there was something so exciting about figuring out which of your friends would be in your classes that year.
So here’s a toast to starting the school year off with the right nourishment!
P.S. Be sure to check out other healthy, savory breakfast options perfect for back-to-school from my fellow Recipe Reduxers by clicking on the link below the recipe card!
Fiesta Tofu Breakfast Wrap
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- Pinch Salt
- 1 avocado
- 4 whole wheat wraps I used Multigrain Flatout Flatbread Wraps
- Spinach or mixed greens
- Option add-ins: sautéed onions cheese (if not vegan), and/or hot sauce
- Press and drain tofu for 10 minutes. While tofu is being pressed, dice the red pepper and mince the garlic.
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add garlic and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. Next, add in red peppers (if using onions, add these now as well). Allow to cook about 5 minutes.
- While pepper and garlic are cooking, crumble tofu into a small mixing bowl (I just used my hands) and gently stir in vinegar, soy sauce, and seasonings.
- Add seasoned tofu to skillet, reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook 7-10 minutes, or until peppers are slightly soft and the tofu is heated through. Remove from heat.
- Slice avocado and place ¼ of the avocado slices on each wrap along with a handful of greens. Option to also add cheese and/or hot sauce. Top with tofu mixture and roll up wrap. Enjoy hot or wrap in foil and eat on the go!