Soft, whole wheat pitas topped with melted cheese and sheet-pan fajita chicken and vegetables make for healthy and easy weeknight pizzas that the whole family will love!
I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I’m always on the lookout for ways to make weeknight dinners easier without compromising flavor, so I was especially excited when Recipe Redux members were invited to participate in Toufayan Bakeries’ recipe challenge.
Toufayan Bakeries is a family-owned baker in the U.S. that turns out more than 100 delicious products across the nation – in fact it’s the largest pita company in the U.S.! Among these products are 8 varieties of pita: White, Multi Grain, Sprouted Grain, Low Carb, Oat Bran, Savory Garlic, Sweet Onion, and Whole Wheat. Regardless of what flavor you choose, all products are made using old-world recipes with only top quality, wholesome ingredients and are naturally cholesterol and trans fat-free. Find out where you can get Toufayan Bakeries products by clicking here.
For these fajita pita pizzas, I used the Low Carb pitas, which are made from fiber-rich whole wheat flour and contain just 16 grams of carbohydrate per pita with 7 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein. These pitas combined with lean chicken and shredded cheese pack these pizzas with a serious protein punch, helping you to stay full for hours afterwards.
To make these pizzas we first need to cook our fajita chicken and vegetables. One of my favorite dinner short-cuts is to make sheet pan meals. Simple place chicken strips and any vegetables you like on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with cumin and chili powder then cook everything at once for 20-25 minutes. For those of you who like to meal prep, you can make the chicken and vegetables ahead of time then just assemble the pita pizzas throughout the week.
Keeping with the Mexican-inspired cuisine, these pita pizzas are first topped with salsa, which provide an extra dose of veggies. Next, sprinkle over shredded Mexican cheese then load each pita up with the cooked fajita chicken and vegetables.
Initially I thought a serving would be 2 pita pizzas, but I was completely satisfied and full after just one. It was a bonus as I then had leftover fajita pita pizza slices in the fridge for a healthy snack later in the day 😉
So here’s a toast to pita pizzas, my new favorite weeknight dinner!
Chicken Fajita Pita Pizza
- 1 lb raw skinless, boneless chicken tenders (or chicken breasts cut into strips)
- 2 bell peppers sliced into thin strips
- 1 large head broccoli broken into florets
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil separated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 ½ cups Mexican shredded cheese
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 6 Low Carb Toufayan Pitas
- Optional jalapeno diced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease large baking sheet with 1 tsp olive oil or spray. Place chicken tenders and veggies on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with extra 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, and pinch salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
- After chicken and vegetables are cooked, increase oven temp to 425F.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and dice cooked peppers.
- Place pitas on pizza stones or a large baking sheet.
- Spread salsa over each pita and top with chicken, veggies, and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until pita is crispy.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!