Always on the look-out for more lunch-friendly recipes, these buffalo tofu burritos are your answer to a balanced meal that keeps you full and travels well!
I’ve always loved tofu, but a large reason for that is I’ve always had GOOD tofu – trust me there is a difference. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the key to cooking tofu is getting as much moisture out before cooking by draining and pressing. Also essential: buy “extra firm” tofu anytime you are frying it – you’ll thank me for this one! While you could make these burritos using beans or chicken instead of the tofu, I beg of you to give tofu a shot!
While I love traditional Mexican flavored burritos, I wanted to spice things up and take a more American twist by using buffalo sauce. However, these burritos are far from being the tongue-numbing spice machines that traditional buffalo wings are. In fact, Bry probably would have preferred them to be spicier. If you’re in the spice-lover camp, I recommend adding 1-2 additional tablespoons of buffalo hot sauce and letting the tofu soak in the sauce overnight. But, if you’re like me and don’t want your stomach to be hurting after lunch, I have you covered J To balance out the heat of the buffalo sauce, I added a creamy-cool yogurt sauce that tastes like a mix between Ranch dressing and tzatziki.
The longest part of making this recipe is the rice. I used long-grain brown rice, which takes 40 minutes to cook, but you could easily cut down the cooking time by using 10 minute brown rice instead.
While these burritos were originally intended for Bry’s lunches, I ended up stealing a couple for myself as I loved how creamy and filling they are! If you don’t plan on eating all of your burritos within the next 5 days, I recommend freezing them for later – just be sure to package them well in an air-tight container to avoid freezer-burn!
So here’s a toast to packed lunches getting a spicy upgrade!
Buffalo Tofu Burritos
For the Tofu
- 1 container of extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbs corn starch
- Salt and pepper
- 5 Tbs buffalo hot sauce
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
For the Creamy-Cool Yogurt Sauce
- ½ cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the burritos
- Buffalo tofu + any extra buffalo sauce
- Cream-cool Yogurt Dip
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 1. Drain your tofu. Slice tofu block into 5 pieces and place on a paper towel-covered cutting board. Place an additional paper towel on top of the tofu and then place a heavy object (such as a full tea-kettle) on top to drain out the moisture. Let sit for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare you rice according to package directions. When rice is done, remove pot from heat and keep covered until ready to prepare your burritos.
- 3. Make your buffalo sauce by placing butter in a mug and melting in the microwave. Remove and add buffalo sauce to the mug. Stir well and set aside.
- 4. Once tofu has been pressed, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and cover with cooking spray. Cover each side of your tofu slices with cornstarch and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place tofu in skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes per side, or until each side is browned. Remove from heat and toss with buffalo sauce.
- 5. While tofu cooks, cut broccoli into florets and steam (I used a microwave steamer). Once softened, set aside.
- 6. While tofu, rice, and broccoli are cooking, combine yogurt sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- 7. Once everything is cooked, divide tofu, rice, broccoli, carrots, and any remaining buffalo sauce evenly among the 5 whole wheat tortillas. Roll each burrito up in foil if not eating immediately. Store in fridge for up to 5 days or store in freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!