Craving a blueberry muffin? While you could make some OR forget the oven (it is starting to get to be summer after all 😉 ) and break out your blender instead. Made with a few basic ingredients, the only planning ahead you’ll need to do it put some Greek yogurt in the freezer for an hour – the perfect amount of time to get a workout in, get ready in the morning, or catch up on some Game of Thrones.
In my opinion, the best smoothies are thick and can be eaten with a spoon. Frozen bananas are usually my go-to ingredient for making a thick and creamy drink, but my dad, who is allergic to bananas, recently asked what he could substitute in for the banana. Before I could answer, Bry pipped in with the idea of freezing Greek yogurt – looks like I’ve taught him well 😉 All you need is about an hour in the freezer (may take longer or shorter depending on how cold your freezer is) and you will be ready to start blending!
While frozen Greek yogurt is the primary thickener for this smoothie, I also used frozen blueberries and oatmeal to make sure the consistency was just right. Yup, oatmeal. Oats are a great ingredient in a smoothie not just for a nutrition and thickening boost, but also for flavor, The oats are what truly give this smoothie that “muffin” taste. Of course the cinnamon and vanilla extract don’t hurt either.
With the warmer months finally here, this smoothie is a refreshing, no-oven-required way to enjoy the blueberry muffin taste that you love. So here’s a toast to keeping your kitchen from getting too toasty this summer!
Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 6- oz container of plain Greek yogurt for a sweeter smoothie you could use vanilla yogurt instead
- 1/4 cup plain rolled oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Place yogurt container in freezer for about an hour, or until frozen. If you don’t have individual-sized yogurts, you can freeze the yogurt in Tupperware or in an ice cube tray.
- Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add cinnamon to taste.
- Pour into your favorite smoothie glass and enjoy!