Creamy enough to be comfort food but healthy enough for a weeknight dinner, this BBQ chicken and spaghetti squash casserole is a delicious cold-weather season dish!
I can’t take credit for this genius recipe idea, as I adapted it from Food Faith Fitness. If you haven’t checked out her blog yet, I highly recommend it as she has so many delicious, healthy recipes that I guarantee you’ll love. I especially am in awe of her inventive overnight oats recipes!
For this recipe, I made a few tweaks based on mine and Bry’s taste preferences. I also doubled the recipe as a serving size for Bry is two or three times larger than the average person. Other changes included ratio of BBQ sauce to Greek yogurt, adding flavorings to the chicken while it’s poaching, decreasing the onions, adding in some mozzarella cheese and using pulsed oats in place of panko bread crumbs.
I was never a huge spaghetti squash fan, as I’d always had it prepared as an alternative to spaghetti noodles. I don’t care what anyone says, spaghetti squash does not equal spaghetti noodles. But once I started experimenting with other recipes I came to love spaghetti squash as an ingredient. This casserole is super filling and creamy, while also giving you a hefty dose of good nutrition. It also is a great food prep meal, as it can be made a day or two in advance.
By the way happy Friday! I’m sure many of you are either getting ready to travel or are preparing the house for guests. I know Bry and I will be spending a good amount of time scrubbing down the apartment as next week will be the first time his mom and step-dad have seen our new place. I’m also nerdily excited as a brand new, humongous Whole Foods just opened up about two blocks from our apartment so you can bet I’ll be spending a lot of time exploring all the new options (including a 100 lb cheese tower!).
BBQ Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 Red onion thinly diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Chile powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella shredded cheese
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce of choice my go-to is Annie’s
- 2/3 cup 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and cover baking sheet with foil.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out all the seeds. Place squash on baking sheet, cut-side down.
- Place in oven and cook 40 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- While squash is roasting, pour chicken broth into a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add chicken breasts and cook 20-25 minutes, or unitl cooked through.
- Once cooked, shred chicken and place in large mixing bowl. Add diced red onion, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, minced garlic, and paprika.
- Once squash is cooked, use a fork to scrape out the flesh of the spaghetti squash and add to large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup each of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, all the BBQ sauce, and the Greek yogurt to the mixing bowl and toss well to combine.
- Pour chicken and squash mixture into a 9″x13″ baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- In a food processor, add oats with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until it forms small crumbs, similar to bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Place casserole in oven and bake at 400F for 25 minutes. Then turn oven to high broil and broil for 5 minutes, or until cheese and oats are brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, cut into 6 slices, and enjoy!