This post is an entry to a contest sponsored by Real California Milk, but all opinions are my own.
With summer just around the corner, my Pinterest is filling up with snack ideas perfect for backyard grilling parties. From tropical twists on guacamole to various pasta salads, it seems we are all longing for long summer nights, surrounded by friends and good food. And this veggie Mediterranean flatbread deserves to be a part of these summertime get-together’s. Just picture it: the bold, tangy flavors of sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes combined with creamy, melty cheese atop a perfectly crunchy whole wheat crust and then drizzled with a refreshing mint-based tzatziki sauce.
One of the great things about both the flatbread and tzatziki sauce is that they are made using Real California Dairy products. With Real California Dairy products you can rest assured that they are made with 100% Real California Milk – no mystery ingredients here! So next time you are at the store, keep an eye out for the Real California Dairy seal. Another added bonus: California Yogurt and Cheese are great sources of protein to keep you full longer.
So onto the food! Start with whole wheat pizza crust rolled out nice and thin into a rectangle. Place dough on a large sheet pan that has been generously sprayed with olive oil cooking spray (or you can use parchment paper instead). Lightly brush extra virgin olive oil over the crust and sprinkle on basil and garlic powder. Top with 1-2 cups of shredded Real California mozzarella cheese, ½ – 1 cup Real California feta cheese, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and shredded kale. Place in 500°F oven and cook for 5 min. Turn sheet pan and cook another 5-7 minutes or until the bottom is nice and brown.
While flatbread is cooking, combine 1 diced cucumber in food processor along with Real California Yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, and mint leaves. Pulse until nice and smooth.
Slice flatbread into squares and drizzle with tzatziki sauce. Share and enjoy!
So here’s a toast to sharing good food made from wholesome ingredients with your friends and family this summer! (as well as in Spring, Fall, and Winter 😉 )
- 1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, and diced)
- 1 cup Real California Yogurt
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1 sprig of Fresh Mint
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch of salt
- Whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup Real California mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Real California feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, drained of oil
- 14-oz can Artichoke Hearts
- 1 cup shredded Kale
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Dried basil, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F and spray large baking sheet with olive oil spray or cover with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough into a rectangle. Make sure it is nice and thin. Transfer to baking sheet before topping.
- Lightly brush crust with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle on dried basil and garlic powder to taste. Top with sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kale, and cheeses.
- Place in oven and cook for 5 min. Turn baking sheet, then cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the bottom of the flatbread is nice and brown.
- Slice into squares (I ended up with 24 squares), and drizzle with tzatziki sauce.
- Place all Tzatziki ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth. Drizzle over flatbread and store remaining sauce in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Nutrition for 1/8 of recipe (not including sauce): 222 calories, 3g saturated fat, 29g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 10g protein
- Nutrition for 2 tablespoons of sauce: 28 calories, 0 g saturated fat, 1g carbohydrate, 1g sugar, 0g fiber, 2g protein