After tempting you with a very unhealthy (but so delicious) chocolate wacky cake last month, I felt it was only fair to give you a lower calorie, every-night option. This chocolate mug cake is made with pantry-staple ingredients and takes just seconds to cook in the microwave! Plus it’s only 200 calories!
I always need something sweet after dinner. While most nights a piece of dark chocolate with a glass of unsweetened vanilla almond milk or 1/2 a banana with peanut butter does the trick, sometimes you need something warm and gooey. Enter in this mug cake.
Now, this cake is not the sugar-bomb that my wacky cake is. Instead, it is slightly bitter with the perfect hint of sweet. (However, if you do want it sweeter, you can up the amount of chocolate chips – it’ll be our secret 😉 ) Combine the deep chocolate flavor with a warm, gooey center and I promise your sweet-cravings will be fulfilled!
Two quick hints: do NOT overcook this, it takes just seconds for this cake to go from gooey to dry. Secondly, mix very well. Nothing ruins a cake like pockets of unbaked flour.
So here’s a toast to getting cozy with a molten cake for one!
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tsp sugar of choice (I prefer to use brown sugar)
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- Combine all dry ingredients in a microwave-safe mug.
- Stir in milk and greek yogurt until completely combined. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Place mug in microwave for 30-40 seconds (I find 30 seconds is perfect for my microwave).
- Dig in and enjoy!
- Nutrition for whole recipe: 195 calories, 6 g fat, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 5 g protein