I know it’s early into the new year, but this roasted kale chicken pizza with cheesy walnut beet sauce is a serious contender as one of my favorite recipes this year. Topped with juicy, lemon-pepper seasoned chicken, slightly crispy kale, and gooey mozzarella cheese, this whole wheat pizza gets even more addicting with the addition of my cheesy walnut beet sauce.
“I received a free sample of Kikkoman soy sauce mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Kikkoman and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Put down the red sauce and start spooning this cheesy walnut beet sauce over your pizza – you won’t be sorry! I shared this flavor twist on pesto two days ago and if it wasn’t enough to convince you to go out and get the ingredients, then I hope this pizza will. Besides being made of beets and walnuts instead of basil and pine nuts, the other twist is the addition of soy sauce. Yup, soy sauce.
While soy sauce does contain sodium, it also has a wonderful umami flavor that lends a depth of flavor that just can’t be replicated by salt alone. Plus, a study published in the Journal of Food Science recently found that swapping soy sauce for salt in recipes can actually reduce the sodium by up to 50% without negatively impacting the flavor. By using ½ tsp of Kikkoman Soy Sauce in place of ½ tsp. of table salt, you can slash 1000mg of sodium from your recipe.
While I’d honestly be happy with just baked whole wheat pizza dough topped with the beet sauce, for a filling, more balanced meal I topped this pizza with nutritious kale and protein-packed baked chicken. To make this meal nice and easy, I pre-baked the chicken ahead of time by baking chicken tenders that were rubbed in olive oil and a lemon-pepper seasoning in an oven heated to 400F for 25 minutes. If you’re in a time-pinch, simply pick up a rotisserie chicken while you’re at the store.
I like my crust to have a little chew, but if you like a super crunchy crust, I recommend waiting to add the kale until the final 10-15 minutes of cooking to prevent the kale from getting overly crispy.
So here’s a toast to the best pizza on the Healthy Toast!
- 1 batch Whole wheat pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup Cheesy Walnut Beet Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup diced baked or grilled chicken (preferably seasoned with olive oil, black pepper, and lemon juice or zest)
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup roasted, unsalted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 cup chopped cooked beets
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F
- For the beet sauce: Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until it forms a pesto-like consistency (mostly smooth, but with a few lumps). Save 1 cup for the pizza and store the remaining sauce in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Roll out pizza dough on a floured surface
- Spread beet sauce evenly over dough, followed by mozzarella cheese, chicken, and kale. Note, if you like your crust extra crispy, don’t put the kale on right away.
- Place pizza in oven and bake 20 minutes. For crispier crust, after 20 minutes add kale to pizza then continue to bake another 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into 8 slices and dig in!