This quinoa avocado quiche is a flavorful, healthy alternative to the brunch classic. Instead of a calorie-laden crust, protein-rich quinoa forms a slightly crispy crust to perfectly support the cheesy kale and avocado egg filling.
I was a bit skeptical of how this recipe would turn out. It seemed too simple to just mix together all the ingredients, bake, and end up with the quinoa sinking to the bottom to form a wonderfully crispy crust. But I’m happy to report it really is that easy. And it’s even more delicious 😉
In my Friday weight loss class, one of my patients asked about other ways to incorporate whole grains other than the standard whole wheat products and brown rice. I was taken aback by the simplicity of the question. I think being in the nutrition world as well as reading food blogs daily has made me forget that not everyone has heard of other whole grains, such as quinoa, amaranth, farro, or buckwheat. Not wanting to overwhelm the class with too many funny-sounding grains, I focused on quinoa as I think it’s the perfect grain to start with when branching out from brown rice.
Now quinoa is technically a seed, not a grain, but it often gets lumped in with grains because it has a similar texture and taste of grains like rice. What make quinoa cooler than rice, though, is it is a vegetarian source of complete protein. It also happens to be gluten free, so it’s perfect if you’re cooking for a crowd and aren’t sure about your guests’ food allergies.
One of my favorite products at Trader Joe’s is their crumbled feta with Mediterranean herbs. So yummy! And I used it in this recipe to provide a savory Mediterranean flavor; however, if you can’t find herbed feta at your local grocery store, feel free to use regular feta then add in a dried Mediterranean spice blend.
Bry and I could not get enough of this quiche! The avocado and egg provide a wonderful creaminess that you look for in a quiche, while the quinoa provided a little crisp and chew that we both thoroughly enjoyed. And of course I had to add in some kale for a little nutrition boost 😉
Whether you are entertaining this weekend or want quick and easy leftovers for lunch, I highly recommend heating up the oven and getting your quiche pan out 🙂
So here’s a toast to adding some variety to your grains!
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large organic eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 6-oz crumbled Feta Cheese with Mediterranean Herbs
- 2 heaping cups frozen kale, chopped
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease quiche pan with olive oil.
- Place frozen kale in microwave-safe bowl along with 2 tablespoons water. Cover bowl and steam in microwave for 2 minutes. Drain excess water and squeeze kale dry. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until frothy. Add in avocado, feta cheese, thyme, paprika, quinoa, salt, pepper, and kale.
- Pour into prepared quiche pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until set. Check about half way through cooking, if edges start to get too brown, cover with foil and continue baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes. Slice into 6 equal pieces and serve.